The United States and South Korea should adjust their alliance to achieve the peaceful unification of Korea peacefully and patiently over time. Features of the new alliance strategy should include:
- Mutual allied commitments to the defense of South Korea and the United States as vital national interests.
- Mutual allied commitments to conduct transparent, verifiable and mutually beneficial transactions with North Korea on trade, economic assistance, and humanitarian aid.
- Increased efforts to educate and inform North Koreans about their plight compared to other countries.
- Increased humanitarian measures to assist North Korean refugees in China and elsewhere.
- Amnesty and re-education for North Koreans who have helped perpetuate a cruel system of governance and the suffering of the North Korean people. Amnesty is essential to encourage North Koreans in positions of authority to work toward the envisioned end state.
[Excerpt of an article by Paul Chamberlin, Washington Times]