Friday, February 05, 2010

North Korea about to release Christian activist Robert Park

North Korea said Friday it was releasing Robert Park, an American detained in North Korea after illegally entering the country in December.

"The relevant organ of the DPRK decided to leniently forgive and release him, taking his admission and sincere repentance of his wrongdoings into consideration," KCNA reported. The news agency earlier reported a lengthy account of what were said to be Park's misunderstandings about the North and how they had been proven wrong since crossing the border.

"People have been incredibly kind and generous here to me, very concerned for my physical health as never before in my life," the North Korean news agency quoted Park as saying. "I mean, my family, of course, is concerned about my physical health but people here have been constantly concerned and I'm very thankful for their love."

Pax Koreana, a human rights group affiliated with Park, said he had not yet been released.

Tyong Park, Robert's father, said in San Diego that he was "so excited" by the news but had no other information about his son's release.

No comments: