Monday, January 23, 2006

Daily NK Interview with Tim Peters (6)

Daily NK: Name an outstanding event from the past ten years of your work.

Tim Peters: Last December, we worked to rescue three North Korean women in China and managed to transport them to Southeast Asia. Among the three, two had experienced terrible things like forced abortion and were in a very fragile psychological state, unable to do normal daily activities.

Later in the month I was at an end of the year party, on December 25th, a get-together attended by a number of Koreans who had defected North Korea. Two teenage girls came up to me and thanked me. It turned out that one the three women who we had just smuggled to this Southeast Asian country was their mother. I will never forget the feeling of warmth inside of my heart at that moment.

There are still many North Korean defectors inside China. They live in cold and hunger, striving daily to survive. My activities will not stop until all these refugees are out from under the threat of repatriation and starvation.

[Interview with Ah Kyoung Hee, The Daily NK]

No comments: